Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Attachment filtering does not seem to be working...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attachment filtering does not seem to be working...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ScotBW View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScotBW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attachment filtering does not seem to be working...
    Posted: 28 December 2004 at 5:53pm

This may be similar to the problem submitted in the posting: "how to block attachments with double-extension attachments", but I don't see any solution information in the thread.

SpamFilter is set up with the following attachments blacklisted:
     *.pif
     *.bat
     *.scr
     *.exe
     *.com

These attachment types (all of them viruses that my mail server AV catches) keep gettign through.  Since wildcards and RegEx are supported, I expected that the list above would block the attachments, but they keep coming through.

I'm using SpamFilter 2.1.2.395.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 6:25pm

Can you check your INI file and make sure the path to the banned attachment file is correct?  The line should look something like the following with your correct path.

AttachmentsBlacklistFileName=D:\SpamFilterISP\Rules\BlockedAttachments.txt

Dan S.

ScotBW View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScotBW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 7:34pm
The path and filename are, indeed, correct. I just double-checked, even!

...?
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 10:59pm
Scot,

Could you post please the entire original source, headers and body, for one of such emails? This will help us reproduce the problem.

Roberto F. LogSat Software
ScotBW View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScotBW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2004 at 12:41am
Roberto, as I was digging into the log files for the SMTP headers, etc., I discovered that all the mail was coming from a single Qwest.net IP address, and i had whitelisted that network because I have external users that use my mail server to send outbound mail.

That's why what should have ben caught as spam was getting through. Sorry I hadn't noticed that before!

Consider this one resolved - due to your good questions!

With the other posts I've seen regarding mail beign sent from external authorized users (that needs to be relayed through the internal mail server), it might be worth looking into providing some sort of authentication method to allow external systems to connect and relay mail through the Spamfilter or provide some way to connect to the mail server for those clients.

Thanks!

- Scot
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2004 at 10:22pm
Scot,

Glad you figured out the original problem. In regards to the relay, currently the only way to allow remote computers to relay thru SpamFilter is to add the IPs to a whitelist. That is usually done by whitelisting a specific IP or a small class C network that you know belongs to the user(s) you wish to allow to relay. Unfortunately at this moment we do not plan on implementing SMTP authentication to allow relay, as SpamFilter's main functionality is to handle incoming email only.

Roberto F. LogSat Software
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic