Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Running Spamfilter on XP, upgrading from

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rob J View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running Spamfilter on XP, upgrading from
    Posted: 12 October 2005 at 12:03pm

I read the systems Spamfilter will run on is Windows NT/2000/2003.  Just wanted to make sure this means it will not run on XP.  We like to run Spamfilter on a separate pc so I don't want to purchase another 2003 server license.  Plenty of Win 2000 (non server) around.

Also we are currently running 1.2(reg).  I would like to upgrade to the latest version, any conversion issues from an older version?  IE blacklist/whitelist files the same?  The spamfilter.ini files the same. 

Thanks,

Rob

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 4:47pm
Rob,

SpamFilter will work just fine on XP. Please note however that XP is not a server O/S, and Microsoft has imposed limits on the number of connections that XP can handle (especially with Service Pack 2...).

As far as the upgrade, we've made it as simple as possible. You can either run the setup.exe in the distributable zip file, or you can copy all of the files from the Win32 folder in the zip distributable file into the \SpamFilter directory (after stopping SpamFilter first). No reboots are ever necessary, there are no registry entries being used (other than the ones to make SpamFilter appear in the Add/Remove programs). All of the configuration files remain the same, and any time there are features added, SpamFilter will automatically add them on to the config SpamFilter.ini file preserving all your settings.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Rob J. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 5:44pm

Thanks, easy as it was before. 

Regarding XP, Do you know the limit?  Can't Spamfilter be set to a certain number of connections?  We only have 1 server, about 50 users.  I usually never more than 3-4 active connections of mail at a time.

Thanks Again,

Rob

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 6:11pm
Some of the limits depend on the service pack installed, but I'm pretty sure that 3-4 concurrent connections are well below that threshold.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic