Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Configuration and logfiles on network

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
atifghaffar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atifghaffar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Configuration and logfiles on network
    Posted: 05 September 2007 at 4:05pm
I have recently added a  NAS to our mail-infrastructure for managing/distributing configuration files to the spamfilters and other mailservers.

So far I have moved some files like AuthorizedTo.txt, etc to the SMB share.
Note: I was not able to use a network mounted drive by letter but UNC paths such as \\someip\someshare works fine.

I would like to also put the logs on the network share so it is easy to query/backup.

The NAS is a redundant system backed by a redundant SAN so I am not so worried about the storage disappearing.

Question: What should not be put on the share? I might as well put the complete spamfilterisp folder and run the binary from there but dont want to do that without knowing about any gotchas.

best regards

Atif
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2007 at 11:08pm
Atif,

There is nothing we can think of that would prevent SpamFilter to run from the NAS. You should be able to simply copy the SpamFilter directory (and subdirs of course) to the NAS, then look thru all the .ini files in the  various directories, and replace any paths from the old "C:\Program Files\SpamFilter" to the new "\\servername\share\" directory.
As far as the Windows SpamFilter service, you can either update the registry with the new path name manually, or remove the service and then re-create it using SpamFilter's GUI. It should be that simple...

...sometimes we think that SpamFilter is non-Windows-like in its simplicity that we should have written it for a Mac :-)
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atifghaffar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2007 at 5:37am
Roberto great.
This is good news.
I will just have a manage a couple of configuration files and different log directories then.

Would it be possible to have an option to prepend the hostname/server-id to the logfiles and other generaed temp files.

If that is possible then I do not even need separate config files and run from the same directory on multiple servers and add as necessary.
thanks.

best regards

Atif
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2007 at 4:14pm
Sorry Atif, we're probably not going to add that, as SpamFilter Enterprise is the version we're trying to market for larger sites that host multiple SpamFilters. With the Enterprise version all settings are stored in the database, so there is no need for a common shared directory. Each SpamFilter can be configured to place the logfiles in a specific location, thus allowing for centralization of logfiles on the same share.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atifghaffar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 2:25pm
Roberto,

Okay, I can live with that.

You mentioned something about making the spamfilterisp as if it was made for Mac.

Just wondering, how much work would it be to port it to any unix/unix-like system?

best regards

Atif
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2007 at 12:31am
For the first years when we released SpamFilter, we were also distributing a Linux version. However demand was practically nil, so we stopped Linux development and concentrated on the Windows platform. It would require quite a bit of work to go back and re-architect for Linux...
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic