Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

black.uribl.com and the SURBL filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gillonba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gillonba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: black.uribl.com and the SURBL filter
    Posted: 27 March 2013 at 2:39pm
Recently we noticed that a number of e-mails are being rejected with a message looking something like this:

03/27/13 11:28:50:746 -- (4900) SURBL: w3.org - 521 A URL in the email is Blacklisted by SURBL: black.uribl.com. Queries from 8.0.10.9 are restricted due to high volume. See http://uribl.com/about.shtml#abuse. Emails blocked due to this response are done so incorrectly.  Please fix your implementation. -- 

Note that the IP address 8.0.10.9 is NOT ours.  I have seen IPs from all over the 8.0.10.* and 8.0.11.* block.  Our SURBL Servers list contains both black.uribl.com and multi.surbl.org .  I believe that removing black.uribl.com is likely to resolve the issue, but I was wondering

a) has anyone else seen anything like this lately
b) what other servers are you using
c) (for logsat) Is there a way to NOT mark these e-mails as spam?  The message implies that this is probably a false positive after all

Thanks!
yapadu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yapadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 11:07am
The ipaddress 8.0.10.9 will be the IP address of your DNS server.  Your DNS server makes the requests to uribl.com, so it is not spamfilter that directly does it.

You can fix the problem by:

1) Doing your own DNS requests (you could install a DNS server on the same machine as spamfilter and use that).

2) You can remove the lookup forblack.uribl.com from the SURBL server lookup under the list of black lists.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I am a user of SF, not an employee. Use any advice offered at your own risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic