Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

another 2008 R2 64bit question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ImInAfrica View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImInAfrica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another 2008 R2 64bit question
    Posted: 09 June 2013 at 11:26am
Hi,

We have to migrate away from windows 2003 to windows 2008 R2 64 bit.
I have copied the whole spam filter directory from the 2003 server to the 2008 R2 64 bit server (c:\program files (x86)\spamfilter)
on the 2003 server the installed directory was c:\program files\spamfilter

In the spamfilter ini on the new 2008 server I changed any occurrence of c:\program files\ to c:\program files (x86)\

If I run the program spamfilter.exe eveything works correctly and I get the gui.
If I run it as a service, I get no GUI. Please note that although this is running in vmware, I do have console access to the server. We also installed VNC on the server so we can access the console directly.

I'm just not sure why the gui doesn't display when run as a service.
The cmd line from the service is:  
C:\Program Files (x86)\spamfilter\SpamFilterSvc.exe /startedbyscm:F9D641D8-40E26D57-SpamFilter

On the second tab of the service properties I have the "Allow service to interact with desktop" enabled.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2013 at 5:41pm
Recently we received multiple reports for both Windows 2008 and 2012. There seems to be a bug with the Microsoft's Interactive Services Detection window that does not prompt the user that messages are pending, and thus making it impossible to display the SpamFilter window (this affects other services as well, not just SpamFilter). In that case, running this MSDOS command will force the display of the Interactive Services Detection window:

rundll32 winsta.dll,WinStationSwitchToServicesSession

We've enclosed this command in a .bat file so it can be run via the Windows Explorer. It can be downloaded from:

As a reminder, please ensure that you have the "Interactive Services Detection" service enabled and started in Windows so that interactive services like SpamFilter can display their GUIs.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
ImInAfrica View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImInAfrica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 9:12am
Hi Roberto,
While in the console of the windows 2008 server when I run the command from the cmd prompt i get the following:

While I can certainly use spamfilter like this, it's less then ideal as i lose access to all other desktop functions. Any time frame on fixing this?

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 6:22pm
We're aware of the usability issues with 2008 and 2012. We had planned to work on a new GUI at the end of last year, but there have been more issues than expected on the new SMTP engine used in SpamFilter v4.5 which took several months to fix.

We also developed, following a (very good) suggestion from one of our users, a brand new filter that was introduced in the new pre-release v4.5.1.89, which tracks in real time any spam email address being used in the contents of the emails (body and headers). If other emails arrive containing a flagged email address, they will be stopped by this new filter even if the others fail to stop it. We currently have over half a million spammer email addresses updated in realtime and used within the last 72 hours to send spam. This new filter is called the SFDE (SpamFilter Distributed Email database), and we'll be updating the website shortly to provide more info.

We've always focused more on performance and spam stopping capabilities rather than aesthetics, but we are at a point where the aesthetics (or lack of) are becoming a usability issue, so we'll be concentrating on those next, now that SpamFilter v4.5 is extremely stable and reliable.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic