Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

outgoing connections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vermin View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: outgoing connections
    Posted: 24 January 2006 at 1:09pm
My ISP only accepts 10 simultaneous smtp sessions, now the queued mail builds up and is a few hours late is there anyway to limit the outgoing connections - I am using ver 2.7.1.511 or has anyone got a solution Thanks
Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 2:15pm

Vermin,

SpamFilter usually forwards to your own mail server.  How is your ISP involved in the mail chain?

The Desperado
Dan Seligmann.
Work: http://www.mags.net
Personal: http://www.desperado.com

vermin View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vermin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2006 at 3:58am

I have a shared server at a hosting companywhere I have all my clients email to cut down on cost of spam and bandwidth used I installed SpamFilter which I must say works like a dream  as my first MX which then sends it to my Shared server that server can only accept a certain amount of connections to prevent mail bombing, I can up the amount of connections but was hoping there was away of limiting the amount that SpamFilter will initiate or at least know what the total amount is - so far my savings are fantastic and we should be able to register shortly.

Thanks

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2006 at 7:59am
Vermin,

Now the scenario is more clear, thanks for the explanation. SpamFilter ISP has a limit for the maximum number of *incoming* connections to limit the traffic into SpamFilter. When an email passes all the filter, SpamFileter will immediately attempt to forward it to your SMTP server. So to answer your question, assuming at worse that every single email SpamFilter receives is clean (unlikely..!), whatever the number of Max incoming connections is set, it will also be the max number of *outgoing* connections to your SMTP server.

Please note that SpamFilter also has an outgoing queue where it places emails that cannot be delivered to your SMTP server (usually when the server is down). That queue is processed by default every 60 minutes for re-delivery. When this occurs, SpamFilter will send them in multiple connections. The number of these multiple connections is of course limited as you hinted. That value is one half of the value of the Max Incoming connection limit.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Vermin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2006 at 9:02am

Thanks - so if I set my incoming to 10 my outgoing would be 15, it is the outgoing queue I have a problem with, what it looks like is happening is that on my shared server there is also spam filtering and rbl filtering and it stops certain mail that passed through SpamFilter ISP by dropping the connection so that gets queued my queue built up to over 90MB 1350 mails when I noticed the problem could have been higher. At the moment it is 15Mb with 350 mails, then when it tries to resend it exceeds max connection on shared server and starts queing new mail - I have set the process queue to 15 minutes and that has helped a bit am now trying with max incoming set at 10 and will see if there is a diffrence

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic