Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Incoming Email Trapped

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bluefly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Incoming Email Trapped
    Posted: 30 September 2015 at 3:25am
Hi Guys

I have a strange issue whereby emails from one particular domain become trapped in DATA status in the connections queue. This does not always happen and I have been unable to determine what causes the problem. I have been working with the administrator of the sending Exchange server but we can not identify any pattern. Once one email gets trapped, they start to pile up in the connections queue from this sender. 

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed with this problem. Can someone let me know what the DATA state is and maybe suggest why emails do not progress past this point. I'm guessing that the sending server is not correctly closing the connection or something. If tis is the case, I don't know what to tell them as they are not reporting this problem sending to other recipients. 

Any advice on how I should proceed with diagnosing this issue would be appreciated. 

Craig 
yapadu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yapadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 4:13am
Sorry I don't know what the cause may be, but I can tell you what DATA state is.

The DATA state is when the actual body of the message is being sent.

When the servers first connect, they exchange names, who the message they are sending is from and who it is to.

Once that is complete, they enter the DATA state and the body of the actual message is sent.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I am a user of SF, not an employee. Use any advice offered at your own risk.
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 1:05pm
Bluefly,

In SpamFilter's GUI, under the Settings tab, you will see a "Debug View" tab. In there you can enter an IP address with which all the SMTP traffic will be logged in that window for analysis. That may provide a clue as to what may be happening.

Alternatively, if you'd like to perform a Wireshark capture and then send us the data file we can look into this for you. If using Wireshark (which does not require a reboot to install, so it's one of our favorite capture tools), you'll want to apply a capture filter to capture only traffic to/from that specific host so as not to have a huge amount of data to capture. 
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Bluefly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 7:43pm
Thanks for the quick response Roberto. I have a WS trace that was taken by the sender. It's 2MB but I'm not sure how I should send it to you. Email address? 

I'll also have a crack at the debug option. 
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 7:50pm
If the files is less than 8MB, you can email it to support at logsat dot com. If larger, I sent you a PM with a URL for the upload.

Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic