Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dnsrbl.net is blocking valid emails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dnsrbl.net is blocking valid emails
    Posted: 30 November 2008 at 2:49pm
We are seing a LOT of valid rejected emails being blocked by the spam.dnsrbl.net and dun.dnsrbl.net RBL blacklists. It appears that the owners of these lists are blocking all IPs even if they are valid.

We strongly recommend admins to remove any entries referencing any of the domains *.dnsrbl.net from the MAPS RBL servers in SpamFilter's blacklist settings.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
nejko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nejko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 2:48am
Same here (UTC+1). This morning we have already noticed that two servers of our clients are rejecting legitimate e-mail.
Wayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 8:15am
Same here, anybody knows what happens?
SF4.5.0.1-beta
Berno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 11:02am
Yeah, thanks for posting this. I had a couple people say that they had some longtime emailers getting blocked.  started checking the log and found that almost everyone that emails our company (that wasn't on the Excluded list) was getting rejected...same culprit.

Not good! Ouch
robj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 11:21am
Same here.  I remove it.

This is what I have now...is this all I need.
bl.spamcop.net, true
sbl.spamhaus.org, true
dnsbl.njabl.org, true

Thanks,
Rob
Wayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 11:26am
Rob, yes this are the most important three. I also have an entry with dnsbl.sorbs.net and instead of sbl, the zen.spamhaus.org

Regards Wayne

Edited by Wayne - 01 December 2008 at 11:30am
SF4.5.0.1-beta
swaber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swaber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 1:13pm

I have sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org instead of sbl.spamhaus.org, which entry is valid or better? Perhaps we could get a current list of the recommended providers from LogStat, there seems to have been some drifting of the list over the various versions.

Edited by swaber - 01 December 2008 at 1:17pm
Wayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:59am
Swaber

Read this

zen.spamhaus.org is a combination of SBL, XBL, PBL lists. If you are using the ZEN list, you do not need to also use the other lists individually.
SF4.5.0.1-beta
jerbo128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbo128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 7:30pm
 I am using:
MAPS: 
zen.spamhaus.org,true
bl.spamcop.net,true
dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net,true

SURBL:
black.uribl.com
multi.surbl.org
zen.spamhaus.org

I would be intersted in anyone else's opinion and what you are using....

Jeremy
charles.steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 6:38am
Hi Everybody

I am Charles, new to this forum. Will anybody tell me of what about your are talking?

Charles
CompTIA N10-003 and Microsoft 70-270 : MCSE Windows XP Professional exam.
Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 9:59am
Jeremy,

Is that correct?  You are using spamhaus as a SURBL filter?  I did not know that was an option for Spamhaus.
The Desperado
Dan Seligmann.
Work: http://www.mags.net
Personal: http://www.desperado.com

jerbo128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbo128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 1:10pm
Yes Dan.  At least from what I understand.

Check out this page:
"Not just for connection queries...

In addition to checking the IPs of the connecting servers against the SBL, you can significantly boost your spam catch rate by also scanning the email body of any mails that get past SBL/XBL looking for host names of URLs (web sites) advertised in spams, and checking the IPs of those hosts, and their names servers, against the SBL. This is because the SBL lists the IPs of spammers' websites in addition to their mail servers."

Jeremy

suchi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 4:45am
Hey same here.
Getting lot of valid mails rejected because of this spam.dnsrbl.net and dun.dnsrbl.net.
For solution purpose,have removed it from MAPS server list.
But what is the reason behind this rejection ??
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 10:06pm
The owners of the domains (or the DNS for that domain) dnsrbl.net decided to output the response "127.0.0.1" to all DNS queries made for *any* name in their DNS space. When it comes to RBL blacklists, the 127.0.0.nnn response is used to indicate that an IP is listed in the blacklist. This thus caused every single IP on the internet to be reported as being blacklisted.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic