Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Socket Error 10054 - Invalid MX record

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BigRedN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRedN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Socket Error 10054 - Invalid MX record
    Posted: 19 November 2005 at 10:55am
Recently I moved my spam filter server to a virtual host and ever since then approximately 70% of the incoming messages get spam tagged because of being unable to resolve the mx record.

To make matters more complicated this site is utilizing a satellite connection and even with a local dns server, name resolution takes much longer than other sites. for example in a nslookup, for a mx record that isn't cached I need to set the timeout to 8 seconds before it will resolve without timing out.

I have used a packet anaylzer and I can not see where spamfilter is making this resolution query, so I am unable to find out if the DNS server is sending back a failure, or if the product is failing on its own.

So all that said... my question is: How can I troubleshoot this issue and is there a way to increase the timeout for MX record resolution.

Below is an example of the error :

Connection from: 68.142.198.211  -  Originating country : United States
11/17/05 13:41:44:557 -- (1948) Resolving 68.142.198.211 - Error resolving IP address (Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer.)
11/17/05 13:41:44:573 -- (1948) - Invalid MX record - Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer.
11/17/05 13:41:44:573 -- (1948) 68.142.198.211 - Mail from: <email-addr-removed> To: <email-addr-removed> will be spam-tagged

Thanks,
Stuart
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2005 at 6:15pm
Stuart,

The Socket Error # 10054 is a Windows Socket error, and usually indicates that the remote host has focibly disconnected SpamFilter. The reference page is at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/e n-us/winsock/winsock/windows_sockets_error_codes_2.asp

In short, the error is described as:

WSAECONNRESET 10054    

Connection reset by peer.
    An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This normally results if the peer application on the remote host is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, the host or remote network interface is disabled, or the remote host uses a hard close (see setsockopt for more information on the SO_LINGER option on the remote socket). This error may also result if a connection was broken due to keep-alive activity detecting a failure while one or more operations are in progress. Operations that were in progress fail with WSAENETRESET. Subsequent operations fail with WSAECONNRESET.

While I do not believe the error you are receiving is a dns timeout issue, the only way to be sure is... to increase the timeout and see if that helps. The bad news is that SpamFilter has a fixed timeout of 5000 milliseconds that it uses for all DNS queries... The good news is that we just uploaded in the registered user area a new build (2.6.3.493) that will allow you to modify the DNS timeout by specifying  the new value in the SpamFilter.ini by using the DNSTimeout option.

The release note for this new build are:

// New to VersionNumber = '2.6.3.493';
{TODO -cNew : Added DNSTimeout option in SpamFilter.ini to customize the DNS timeout for all of SpamFilter's DNS queries}
{TODO -cNew : Added EnableDbgLogs SpamFilter.ini option to enable separate detailed logging for troubleshooting purposes}
{TODO -cNew : Added to SpamFilter.ini several of the optional entries with their default values for users to see}
{TODO -cFix : Clicking on "Check if IP in ORBS" button in GUI could result in Access Violations being logged}

Please let us know if this works for you.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
BigRedN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRedN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2005 at 1:19pm
Thanks. I'll try that.

Given that you are not confident that it is really a DNS Timeout issue, and that this is running inside a VMWare guest, have you had any experience with their Network Card driver causing this type of issue? Since the log times between query and error are more on the order of 4 milliseconds apart, my timeout theory maybe off the mark abit..
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2005 at 1:31pm
We have several users who deploy SpamFilter under VMWare, and we use the product ourself for testing, and fully support the environment.

So far we the only issue we heard of with VMWare are ARP requests with invalid MAC addresses being sent from a guest. This will cause however noticeable TCP errors warning of duplicate IPs onthe network, both on the actual Windows screen and in the Windows system logs. If you're not having these symptoms, and the server is able to access the network without problem, I would not think VMWare to be a problem.

If you can please zip us to support at logsat.com a copy of your SpamFilter activity logfiles we'll try to debug them to see what the problem is.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
BigRedN View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRedN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2005 at 12:52pm
Roberto,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your request for my log files. Last night I sent in a zip of my log files. Please let me know if you need anything else. If for some reason you did not get it, please let me know.

Thanks,
Stuart
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2005 at 5:02pm
Stuart,

I believe that rather than trying to troubleshoot "why" the VMWare machine is causing the TCP Socket Error, we may solve this faster by modifying SpamFilter to behave differently if that error occurs and assume it is a DNS timeout. This will cause the MX test *not* to fail, as if there are DNS timeouts SpamFilter will not be able to tell if the test passes or fails, and thus is forced to pass it to avoid false positives. We'll need a day or two to make the changes and test them, after which we'll make the new build available on the website. If we have an alpha build sooner and you're willing to test it, we'll be happy to provide it to you.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
BigredN View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigredN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2005 at 11:49am
Just incase anyone else runs into this issue. It was resolved by updating the DNS entry in SpamFilter to point to a valid DNS server. The socket closed error was because the DNS server I was pointing to no longer existed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic