Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SFE Service consuming 100% CPU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jerbo128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbo128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SFE Service consuming 100% CPU
    Posted: 28 November 2008 at 2:24pm

Launched our first Win2008 server.  Running .786 SFE with MS SQL.  Every couple of days, the service seems to get hungry for CPU and runs at 100%.  During this time, emails are still being processed - but the cpu is entirely consumed.   A quick glance at the logs, I do not see any errors.   Restarting the service restores all to normal for the next couple of days.

Any ideas Roberto?

jerbo128
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 9:00pm
I'm assuming you checked to ensure it's the SpamFilterSvc.exe process that is using the 100% CPU. If so, are you by any chance monitoring the server to see at what time the problem began in at least one incident, and/or if it was a sudden jump to peak CPU (thus indicating a specific event/email), or if it was a slowly growing one? If not, could you please log the CPU activity for the SpamFilter process using Performance Monitor (or any other tool you prefer) to have this data next time the issue occurs?

In the meantime, if you can please zip us a logfile for when this occurred, we'll start taking a look. Please include your SpamFilter.ini file, and the entire \SpamFilter\Domains directory tree structure. If the file is over 5MB in size, I'll PM with our FTP upload info.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
jerbo128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbo128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:42pm
Yes, it is the spamfilter exe file that is using the CPU.

I uploaded the logs to your FTP.

Jeremy

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 11:16pm
We received the logs. For Dec 1st, the logs start at 5:02PM, and show that SpamFilter is restarted shortly afterwards at around 5:05PM. If the CPU was at 100% prior to restarting SpamFilter we only have 3 minutes worth of data to see, and there are no indications of problems during that time frame. If you have them available, we'd need to see the entire log for that day as to have several hours of data to analyze before the restart.

Looking at the rest of the logs however, we see that your Bayesian filter corpus database has grown to about 90MB in size (please correct us if we're wrong). If so, this is a rather large database that will cause high CPU usage. While this should cause the CPU to be higher than normal all the time, even a few minutes right after SpamFilter is started, .I’d recommend trying to reset it to start with an empty database. To reset the bayesian database, please stop SpamFilter, delete or rename the \SpamFilter\corpus directory, then restart SpamFilter.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
jerbo128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbo128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 9:01am
The logs start at a point where SFE was restarted.  They end at a point where the CPU had grown again and had to be restarted a 2nd time.

I will reset the bayes and see if that helps.

Thanks

Jeremy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic