Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Badmail directory processing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ecarbone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Badmail directory processing
    Posted: 14 September 2016 at 9:14pm
I have noticed that sometimes SpamFilter can't forward the e-mails due to some failure at the mail server and logs the following error:

Exception - forwarding to:mailserver.domain.com:25 - server error - error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0) - message has been archived in /BadMail directory

Unfortunately there is no error number that can lead us to know what happened, and the message goes to the badmail directory.

I would like to know if:

1) Can we have a more specific error about what happened ? Why the mail was not forwarded?
2) Can we put the messages residing at the badmail folder back in to the queue so they can be retried?
3) Can we generate some kind of alert when these type of errors occur? Perhaps send and email or record some message at the Windows Event Log so we can generate an action using Windows internal features?

Hope somebody can help.

Regards,

Enrique.
Enrique
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2016 at 10:44pm
Enrique,

The error that SpamFilter logged ( error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0) ) seems to be related to some kind of SSL/TLS issue encountered when forwarding the email to your destination SMTP server.

In the \SpamFilter\badmail directory you should see two files with the same base name and different extensions - one .tmp and one .tmp.rcpt. If you copy/move those files in the \SpamFilter\queue directory, SpamFilter will retry their delivery next time that directory is processed (by default every 60 minutes). You can click on the "Flush Now" button in SpamFilter's main settings window to force the processing of the queue directory.

If the error persists, to find the cause we may need to look at a Wireshark packet capture for that transmission to see if the cause of the failure can be determined. Please note that sometimes with TLS/SSL encrypted traffic this can be a bit of a challenge however.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
ecarbone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 9:54am
Thanks for your answer.
I will proceed with the copy/move of those two files to the queue directory.
This error was recorded when forwarding email to an Exchange 2013 Server, the curios thing after analyzing the log, is that Spamfilter was able to correctly send to the same server several messages before and after the error, so it seems that was only that message that somehow produced and error.

To be honest, I was not aware of the badmail directory and I see several messages stuck there, some are very old, that's why I was asking for some kind of notification so we can be aware when something goes wrong and then try to move the files manually back to the queue directory.

Regards,

Enrique,
Enrique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic