Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1 hour wait for deletion is frustrating for users
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1 hour wait for deletion is frustrating for users

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alan View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 hour wait for deletion is frustrating for users
    Posted: 26 June 2003 at 1:52pm

Using the web interface, users are frustrated that they cannot have their spam immediately removed from their lists.  They prefer to delete small groups of emails at a time and slowly trim their lists down, but when they select spam to delete, press "Delete" and the spam still remains on their list, they get understandably frustrated.

Why the hour delay with the web interface, but instantly with the GUI interface?

The delay for the web interface is terribly frustating.

I was in the process of creating a Administrator Web interface so I wouldn't have to use the crippled GUI, but the delay is even worse so I am shelving that idea for now.

George View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2003 at 2:01pm
I have not seen that happen with my SQL2000 system on any of the beta or the final retail release. As soon as you select delete from the web page the files are flaged for removal on the SQL server and are no longer displayed in the web browser. I am using the modified web pages from beta .163 though, I haven't looked through the source on the latest .asp pages to see if there was any changes to it since .163 because everything is working fine with them.
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2003 at 2:33pm

The web interface should not show quarantine entries that have been marked for deletion. The SQL statement that shows the list of messages should filter out the records that have the "Expire" and "Deliver" fields set to true. Are you using the PHP or the APS interface?

Roberto Franceschetti
LogSat Software

Alan View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2003 at 2:36pm

I am using the Access db that was included with the latest version although I doubt that is the issue.  Basically when users hit the Delete button thier screen refreshes but the checked items remain but become unchecked again.  Checking the db, the items are tagged in the db field for deletion, but it is not reflected in the web interface for them.

Ideas?

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2003 at 2:38pm

Are you using the ASP or the PHP web interface?

Roberto F>
LogSat Software

Alan View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2003 at 2:59pm

I am using the ASP interface.

I think I found the problem.  I looked in the db and noticed that items tagged for deletion are changed from 0 to -1, but in the SQL string in the ASP page, it is filtering Expired items that are marked <>1

SQL = SQL & "WHERE (Deliver <> 1) "
 SQL = SQL & "AND (Expire <> 1) "

Adjusting the ASP to "(Expire <> -1)" seems to do the trick.

The "(Deliver <> 1) " does appear to work properly.

Is this a coding error in that Expired items in the db should be set to 1 if marked for deletion?

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2003 at 3:12pm

Alan,

In the file "ResolveSpam.asp" there should be the following:

SQL = "UPDATE tblQuarantine "
  If cmd = "Delete" Then SQL = SQL & "SET Expire = 1 " Else SQL = SQL & "SET Deliver = 1 "

(Without the "Word Wrap")  Or the Access DB equivalent.  The Deliver is to be set to "1" not "-1"

Dan S.

Alan View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2003 at 3:19pm

Bizarre.  I checked that ASP page and it does say "SET Expire = 1"

Pasting from my editor:
  SQL = "UPDATE tblQuarantine "
  If cmd = "Delete" Then SQL = SQL & "SET Expire = 1 " Else SQL = SQL & "SET Deliver = 1 "

Yet expirations get set to -1 in the db.  Really strange.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2003 at 3:34pm

Strange nobody caught that before. Good call! We'll most likely change the web code to say (Deliver = 0) and (Expire = 0) so that it will work in all cases. MS Access does indeed change the field to a -1 even though it's set to 1.

Roberto Franceschetti
LogSat Software

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2003 at 3:53am

You aren't talking about changes to the existing behavior are you?  I don't use the "Standard ASP code ... all custom stuff.  Also, for ref, isn't MS Access a bit wimpy for this application?  My MS SQL database is hovering around 3GB.  I was not aware that access would function at that level.

Dan S.

Alan View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2003 at 11:28am

It appears this issue applies specifically to Access and two conflicting lines of script in two of the basic ASP pages that were available for download.  Modifying one line of script from <>1 to = 0 resolves the issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic